Whether you’re new to Chicago and looking to meet new people in the city or want to give back
in your free time, Center on Halsted is the place to do so. Volunteer with us to foster new friendships, build community and help strengthen the LGBTQ people of Chicago.
As a volunteer, you may:
When volunteering at the Midwest’s largest and most diverse community center, you may
- Help run Special Events
- Serve Meals to our youth and seniors
- Facilitate programming for our youth and seniors
- Monitor the Cyber Center
- Serve as Administrative Assistants to support staff
- Assist our Operations staff
- Maintain our Rooftop Gardens
- Greet visitors at the Reception Desk
- Welcome and check-in guests at our Community & Cultural programs
- Provide Therapeutic Services to individuals and groups
- Take calls on our Behavioral Health Resource Line
- Provide Legal Services to those in need
- Take calls on our Anti-Violence Resource Line
- Create safer sex packets and do HIV outreach with our HIV Department
- And much, much more!
work with clients, patrons and guests whose life experiences vary greatly from your own.
Volunteers at Center on Halsted help increase access for LGBTQ people by eliminating
barriers associated with:
- Sexual Orientation
- Gender Expression
- Economic Status
- Physical Ability
- Mental Ability
- And all other aspects of human difference
Center on Halsted has a strict confidentiality policy to protect the privacy of our clients.
As part of this policy, we require all volunteers to be 22 years of age or older
to work with our programs.
There are opportunities for groups of students who do not meet the age requirement to volunteer through service learning projects and we also accept court-ordered volunteer service but on a case-by-case basis as determined by the Special Events & Volunteer Manager, Grant Ladniak.
Please contact him
at email@example.com with any questions you may have.
Upon your registration, you will receive an email confirming your reservation. One week before your scheduled orientation, you will receive an email to remind you of the upcoming session and provide further instructions.
Register for volunteer orientations and training sessions below. Potential volunteers must attend BOTH an Orientation AND a Saturday Volunteer Training Session. There may also be other required trainings specific to the department in which one volunteers.
Volunteer Orientation & Training, click here.
Youth Program Volunteer Training, click here.